Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Physics Warrior... I Wish I Was

As part of my quest to fill the physics-shaped hole in the skeptical community, I've been watching for any opportunities to apply my critical thinking skills to physics issues. It is for this reason I've been reviewing papers, pointing out physicsesque NYT articles, and picking apart Sal's "arguments".

It's hard, though, to find appropriate articles. Physics denial isn't as popular now as evolution denial or anything like that. We'll always have Neal Adams (in an email series with Steve Novella: 1, 2, 3, and 4. Read them for a laugh.), but he denies every science equally. I do have a few resources I'm looking into, but I'm still not ready for, say, a detailed debunking of Deepak Chopra.

Thankfully, PZ Myers likes to point out when people abuse physics. I've used this resource once already to defend relativity against some weirdo. PZ put up another physics-abuser link today. I've got no review as of yet, because it's a book. A book I may have to buy. The prospect of paying real money for something I may only read once doesn't do it for me.

Oh, and speaking of owning books seemingly written for the purpose of exploding my brain, guess what dear Mother bought me for Christmas. I wish I had a picture of my expression when I opened that one.


UPDATE: Speaking of Sal, Tyler at PowerUp has a 3-nested response (or a response to a response to a response to an article) aimed Sal's way.

UPDATE 2: Forgot the Neal Adams links, but now that's fixed.

UPDATE 3: Mark Chu-Carroll is on the same wavelength with today's post. This seems to be a popular topic.

14 comments:

Ben said...

Since I have heard you talk about your family, I can only assume it was not purchased for research reasons. I have found that buying used books is the way to go with woo. That way, the crazies get $0 from me but I still get to read their nonsense on my own time (for much less money too!). I picked up a copy of Dianetics that way. As soon as I get to it, I plan on summarizing it chapter-by-chapter with commentary.

Flavin said...

I look forward to it. Scientology is always fun.

But, yeah... She does have what she thinks are my interests in mind. I guess I shouldn't get into it. But, no, she did not buy it for the irony I found in it.

And the used bookstore idea is a good one. Perhaps soon we could for some woo, preferably while break is still in swing.

Flavin said...

My normally nimble fingers seem to be stumbling tonight. The last sentence in my former comment was supposed to say "Perhaps soon we could for some woo, preferably while break is still in swing." Also, I just fixed a typo in the article immediately after noticing I forgot some links. I must be slipping.

Ben said...

I still think you're missing a verb in that sentence...something like "look for".

Flavin said...

Damn it! It looked correct in the preview, but for some reason it took out the text inside my <a href> </a> tag, then made the text after it into a link. So it isn't my fault at all, I swear. That's my story.

Prazzie said...

Ouch. Reminds me of the time I got golden stud earrings from my mom for Christmas, when I have an intense dislike of both stud earrings and gold. It just hurts when they know us so poorly.

I have been reviewing The Secret DVD here on blogger, after begging a copy from my dad, which he was given by a friend. To his credit, he did warn me first that it was "shit with stripes" and seemed to have difficulty letting go of the disc.

"The Secret" is at least good for a laugh. Next year, drop bigger hints.

Flavin said...

It is official. The phrase "shit with stripes" will now be heard regularly leaving my mouth.

Ben said...

I did like that one but I was more curious as to what it actually means.

Flavin said...

Don't think. Just say.

Ben said...

You just told me not to think on a skeptical blog...that's called irony right? Unlike rain on a wedding day.

Flavin said...

I'm sorry that I've been inadequately skeptical of my curse phrases. I will try to do better in the future.

I wouldn't call it irony, though.

Ben said...

I guess I forgot that the true definition of ironic is "like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife". You mentioned neither knives nor spoons. Silly me.

Prazzie said...

"Shit with stripes" is a translation of the Afrikaans idiom "stront met strepies". Afrikaans is a Dutch based language that uses a lot of idiomatic expression.

Referring to something as "shit with stripes" means that it is completely worthless, but nicely presented.

For example, 'The Secret' DVD is quite useless, but it has pretty graphics.

Ben said...

Hey thanks for the etymology! I have known a few South Africans in my day. Afrikaans is quite a treat to hear.